I’m not sure if you all know or not but I am married to a Fashion Designer.
With two degrees in Fashion and 20 years experience as a freelancer I kind of hit the jackpot. 🙂
I consider myself a Manhattanite Fashionista with a touch of my home The City of Angels thrown in there.
To top it all of I am definitely a Retro Queen.
I have a deep love for all things vintage, regal, upscale, fashionable.
That’s not to say I don’t do comfy and relaxed well 🙂
This year my husband is designing my NYE 2014 gown.
Going with the basics I came up with the design for my gown, he’s constructing it and I’m doing DIY studded shoes, a tip given by our very own Stephanie Elise 🙂
Hubby n I went fabricating and I decided to go with a black and silver body hugging material.
2014 was my year to slim down and tone up. I fell short in the toning up department so I had to find a fabric that flattered my slimmed down, out of tone shape. -_-
Originally I wanted to go with all sheer see through fabric but he didn’t feel comfortable with me going that far for now.I thought just the sillouette beneath a sheer fabric would be hot and hide my flaws (we’re going to an indoor fashion event, at night) but again, hubby said he didn’t feel comfortable so we got creative.
I want an upscale, vintage look and so far it’s come along nicely.
My gown is almost done and I’m so happy with the final design & overall look I’ve put together! 🙂
Here’s a few tips on picking out the best NYE outfit/look for you:
#1 Decide what kind of look you’re going for before going shopping.
You can be overwhelmed with options but here’s a few: classic elegance, short and shiny or warm and fun. Think of where you’re going and ask yourself what would you look best in. From there plan your outfit head to toe.
For the sake of this article we’re going to assume you’re buying a dress.
The design of the dress/gown is very important.
Make sure it fits! Fit is the most important thing with any piece. Not everyone looks like the lady in that picture up there. If you know you don’t look right in something like that, don’t buy something like that! There are a ton of designs out there to choose from.
It’s always best to shop with a trusted friend that will tell you the truth in your choices and help you out pulling pieces and trying stuff on. If you don’t have anyone to go shopping with you enlist the help of a personal shopper. Just don’t do it alone!!!
Make sure the colors you choose are for you. Some people just don’t look good in the same colors everyone else may be wearing. Go with whatever color combination you think flatters you most. You don’t have to follow trends, you can be the newest trend!
Don’t be shy, glittery is fine! It’s New Year’s Eve!!!
Make yourself shine from head to toe if you like!
It’s all about being brand new in a brand New Year 🙂
1. When choosing a gown make sure it flatters your curves and not highlight your flaws
2. Wear a body shaper if necessary, there’s no shame in it 😀
3. Make sure you wear stockings that compliment your gown.
4. Don’t forget about your nails and hair!
5. Nails should match your gown’s color.
6. Up do’s are more upscale, wear your hair down for a sexier carefree look. (like in the sparkle picture above)
7. Shoes & bag/clutch should always make the dress pop. Don’t be dull, be daring!
Check out DIY shoe/bag/clutch enhancements on pinterest and youtube if you’re the creative type.
8. Accessories can make or break an entire outfit. Choose carefully, don’t overdo it. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes more is just right. Again, that trusted friend or personal shopper should be there to help you figure it out.
9. Makeup makes the look. Remember the flawless natural look is in now but please, don’t pile it on. Flawless should be even and clear with subtle feature enhancements. Too many layers make wrinkles. You are beautiful, no need to over do it.
10. It’s okay to highlight that beauty with a shimmery strong eye or shimmery body glitter.
Hope these tips helped a bit. Tell us what you ended up wearing. 🙂